Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Riot Gear: Post 001



After what has seemed like an eternity of well, not giving a flying fuck about my wardrobe or how I look in public, I have found (gasp!)inspiration.  Of course, I've been starting off slow... when you've been confined to baggy jeans, a t-shirt, and a zip-up hoodie, everything other than your work clothes seem rather daunting. Sudden I've found myself wanting to experiment with fabrics, and with layering. Today's wardrobe decisions were a bit mish-mashed, but I was more or less pleased with the overall result.


Yes, I am a sucker for black.  Its rather obvious that I am a product of the post nineties gloom and doom that is the remnants of pseudo gothic subculture.  Back in my days of high school hilarity I was the perfect image of a poster child for Hot Topic.  And it was indeed, a mortifying realization that I was in fact, a complete loser.  All that aside however, I have learned to embrace my "quirky" need for all things different.  And have chosen to evolve.  Or so I plan to.

My little black dress.  Well, little black t-shirt dress.  I love it. However on its own, it is completely shapeless and resembles a potato sack when I wear it.  Layered under a fitted t-shirt? It works.  And how could I resist the temptation to find yet another way to wear my Coilhouse shirt?  I will wear that shirt to death.  Its comfy and makes my figure look slammin' (if I do say so myself)



The leg warmers were a complete experiment.  I have never in my life worn leg warmers outside of my ballet class, but I do have to say they were rather fetching over my monster platform boots.  They gave them a better "daytime" feel, since they are a coalition of faux fur, buckles, and spikes... but I've had them since I was 18 and I love them (even though they are held together by glue, duct tape, and sheer willpower).  And as I have mentioned before: I have a weakness for large platform boots, they make me "normal height". Contrary to everyone's belief: they are quite comfortable and can walk all day in them.


Of course, I decided to walk out of the house like this during the coldest day of the week so far! Luckily, that's why I have the bulky sweater to help with that.  I love the look they give to an otherwise sleek look.  It mixes it up a bit, while being completely functional. The volume of the sweater also offset the clunkiness of the boots, balancing everything out. 


---------------
Dress: American Apparel
Shirt: Coilhouse
Sweater: Arden B.
Arm Warmers: Sisters of the Moon Design
Leg Warmers: Dancer's Warehouse
Boots: CraZy
All photos taken by Brittanny Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment